Sunday, February 9, 2014

Misadventures in Additive Manufacturing #2 - BrokenBot

Hello and welcome back to my misadventures in additive manufacturing, a blog series that documents my exploration of the wonderful and potentially very frustrating world of 3d printing. Most recently I purchased a Printrbot simple kit and got it to function in about two days.

Recently I've been trying to print this large 'cute octo says hello' that I found on thingiverse. Unfortunately the print always takes about 2 - 4 hours and it keeps stopping due to things like tangled filament. So now I have three half printed octopi.

I was getting frustrated with the print so I scaled down the octopus to 30% and printed with a less dense infill and got it printed in just 8 minutes! Which was convenient because I had to leave for the day.


Also I printed some cuddling cats. :3


Unfortunately I was printing out a small companion cube from portal yesterday and the machine stopped mid print. :< 


I received an error message saying 'timer expired' and now I always receive a 'no such file or directory' every time I try to connect. I've checked all the wire connections multiple times and I tried rebooting my system multiple times with no success. Which means that something's wrong with the printer it's self. -.- I sent a support ticket to Printrbot and I think they're sending me a new controller board. Unfortunately that means I won't be up and printing again until next weekend. :< So that means I'll have to find something to keep me busy in the mean time. Maybe I'll try to master illustrator for my graphic design class or something.

Anyways, I'll continue posting about my misadventures in additive manufacturing here soon. My next post will be when I finally get my printer up and running again! Have a picture of 3d printed bottoms of octopodes: 





No comments:

Post a Comment